During the summer, I love to munch on this Texas Caviar for a light healthy treat. It’s also a great way to get your black eyed peas in on New Years Day, to make sure you are blessed with luck in the New Year! It is great with some chips or even just alone!
I used to live in Dallas, before moving to Atlanta, so anything with the word Texas in it, I’m fond of! This Texas Caviar dip is one of my favorite appetizers for any occasion. It is healthy, quick, and so easy to make.
The best part is that you can leave out any ingredients if you aren’t fond of them, or even add some that aren’t on the recipe like heirloom tomatoes!
There are so many variations of this recipe out on the internet, and some even refer to what I call Texas Caviar, as Cowboy Caviar. Fred isn’t a fan (you know, since it has so many veggies!), so I like to call it Cowgirl Caviar!
This is always a crowd pleaser, especially during the spring and summer. It is perfect for grilling and compliments BBQ. We love to serve it with our Ribs and Fred’s Famous Burger’s when dining al fresco!
- 1/2 cup zesty Italian dressing or fat free Italian
- 1 10 ounce can RO*TEL with lime juice and cilantro, drained
- 1 15 ounce can sweet corn kernels, drained
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 15 ounce can black-eyed peans, drained
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 sweet or red onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and cubed (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Lime flavored chips or your favorite corn chips for serving
- In a large bowl, combine RO*TEL, corn, beans, peas, green and red bell peppers, onion and celery.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing, salt and pepper.
- Pour over peas, beans and vegetable mixture and stir until well coated.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Gently stir in avocado before serving.
- Serve with your favorite corn chips.