As soon as the heat and humidity start to leave with Summer and the crisp cool air of Fall starts to roll in, my dietary needs change! I start to need comfort food aka carbs! I love this crockpot oatmeal made with steel cut oats for so many reasons. It’s easy to make, packed with protein and feels like I’m cheating when I’m not!
When Fall comes around, all I want, all day every day, is warm comfort food and pumpkin, lots and lots of pumpkin! Read more about my love for Pumpkin everything here and get a recipe for my Pumpkin Pancakes here! I have spent my summer eating eggs, smoothies and yogurt, and now I am ready for something different! I am such a creature of habit when it comes to food, and I really have no problem eating the same thing (especially for breakfast) for a few days at a time. So, if you are like me and craving something warm in the morning, always rushing to get the kids to school and get out the door (also me!), or if you want a super healthy and easy breakfast, then this Lazy Girls Breakfast is perfect for you!
Basically, you throw the ingredients in the crockpot, let it cook overnight and by morning, breakfast is done and your house smells amazing, which is an added bonus! This is one of the healthiest recipes and super easy, because your crockpot does all the work!
- Raspberries and honey
- Diced Apples and Cinnamon
- Blueberries and Sliced almonds
- Pumpkin Puree and Cinnamon (or nutmeg)
- Bananas and Walnuts
- Raisins and Cinnamon
I am sure you will enjoy this amazing and easy breakfast as much as we do in my family. If you have other topping combinations you like, leave them in the comments section. I would love to try some different ones out! Have a great day!
- 2 cups Steel Cut Oats
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar, optional
- 3 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 10 cups Water
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (or Butter)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla or Almond Extract (optional)
- Pour all dry ingredients (oats, sugar, chia seeds, and salt) into your crockpot.
- Stir and mix them all together. (I like to use a fork for this)
- Add wet ingredients (water, oil or butter, and extract if using).
- Stir all ingredients together.
- Turn crockpot on LOW and cook for 8-10 hours.
- Serve 1/2 cup servings and top with your favorite ingredients.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days
- Be sure to use steel cut oats, because old fashion oats will become too mushy. Steel cut oats also have a lot more nutrition in them, including fiber and protein: a winning combo for breakfast!