It’s almost time for Cinco de Mayo and it got me inspired to create this dish that has become a favorite in our house. This Crockpot Mexican Casserole can be made in the slow cooker or Crock-Pot Express Multi-Cooker on pressure mode and I have details on how to do both. I served it over jalapeño cheddar cornbread, but you could also put the mixture into some tortillas or taco shells for taco night!
We crave Mexican food on the daily in this household and recently Fred and I had the idea to try and recreate the ground beef we order at our favorite local Mexican restaurant. After several attempts, I finally found a recipe I am happy with and will be sharing it with you soon! It’s pretty mind blowing if I do say so myself! Haven’t you ever wondered how they get their beef so finely ground and perfectly seasoned to make you coming back every week for that combo and margarita? Fred went to pick up take-out there the other day and I asked him to find out what seasonings they put in their beef. I mean, why wouldn’t they just share their secret to making the best ground beef like CPK shared their Curly Mac N’ Cheese recipe recently?! He mentioned to the waiter that I was trying to make the ground beef the same way they do and he said, “good luck!” It’s not exactly the same, but it’s pretty darn close and I can make it anytime my Mexican cravings hit me hard; which is like on the daily. Next time, I am going to make this with chicken and just dump everything into the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours. I may even add in a taco seasoning packet on top of the chicken just to make it extra flavorful. Heck, I may even add a can of drained Rotel, too!
I’m going to warn you this Crockpot Mexican Casserole is certainly not authentic Mexican food, but is sinful, cheesy and bursting with south of the border flavor’s. Serve it over our favorite Zatarain’s Cheddar Jalapeño Cornbread Mix or top with some corn chips and you will be celebrating Cinco de Mayo in style!
Watch the full video on how to make this Mexican casserole and let me know how it is if you add in Rotel or a taco seasoning packet! Hashtag #crockpotempire for the chance to be featured!
- 1 lb. ground beef, browned or 2-3 chicken breasts, raw
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Taco season packet, optional
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles, drained
- 1 (15 oz) jar Salsa Con Queso
- 1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Brown ground beef with onion powder, cumin, salt, and drain
- Place browned ground beef or raw chicken into bottom of crockpot. If using chicken sprinkle with one taco seasoning packet or season with onion powder, cumin and salt
- Add drained chiles, salsa con queso, corn and black beans
- Top with shredded cheese
- For beef: cook on low 3-4 hours or high 1-2 hours
- For chicken: cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours until chicken is cooked through
- Top with sour cream
- Press Brown/Sauté on the Crock-Pot Express and let heat up
- Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil or favorite cooking oil
- When inner pot is hot, add ground beef and season with onion powder, cumin and salt
- Add green chiles and cook until beef is browned
- *If using chicken add to pot and continue to follow the instructions adding in all ingredients at this time*
- Add in salsa con queso, corn, black beans and shredded cheese on top of beef or chicken
- Place lid in lock position and turn valve to no venting
- Press Beans/Chili button and adjust time to 6 minutes for beef or press Poultry for chicken which will auto populate to 15 minutes
- Press Start button
- When done cooking do an immediate pressure release by turning valve to vent
- Unlock lid and serve