BCAA’s or Branch Chain Amino Acids should have a spot in your daily life! They help save your muscles, while burning fat! I mean who doesn’t want that?!!??! My husband first introduced these to me about three months ago and I am HOOKED! I never realized what an important piece of the puzzle they are (especially when trying to gain and maintain lean muscle). Today, I want to share everything I know (and am continuing to learn) about BCAA’s with you: what they are and why you need them.
BCAA’s are made up of three amino acids: Leucine, Valine, and Isoleucine. Amnio acids are the building blocks of protein and essential to you if you are trying to gain and maintain lean muscle. Now don’t worry, I am not going to get too sciency on you (LOL), but just want to give you some facts about how it works. Your body can get these amino acids from food, however, since none of us eat the “perfect” diet all of the time, we can look to supplements to help fill in those holes.
Now, the fun stuff, the MANY benefits of taking BCAA’s!
- Saves Muscle while burning Fat
- When you reduce your calorie intake, your body looks to your muscles for quick energy and wants to store your fat for reverses. The overall look is a softer, less “toned” look. Not really what we are going for, right?!? Well, BCAA’s reverse this! If you would rather a harder and more toned look, take BCAA’s. They help your body save your muscle, and burn your fat for energy. Now that’s better!! Bodybuilding.com has a great article explaining this catabolic crisis.
- Suppresses Appetite
- BCAA’s can help suppress your appetite. They can help stop your sugar cravings between meals. Stayfitcentral has a great article detailing this.
- Gives you Energy
- BCAA’s give you energy, which helps you workout harder and faster, without getting fatigued. The result is a more productive and effective workout.
- Reduces Belly Fat
- BCAA’s encourage fat loss, boost metabolism, and prevent body fat from being stored in the abdomen. They encourage the body to utilize fat for energy (read more here).
- Boosts Immunity
- BCAA’s have been proven to strengthen your immune system helping you become healthier and more fit. (You can read more about this here).
- Reduces Muscle Soreness
- The best and worst thing about an amazing workout is how sore you feel the next day. I love being sore, but I also don’t like how it slows down my workout for the next day. Well, BCAA’s help your post workout recovery. They help fuel your muscles and aid in the repair process, therefore minimizing your post workout soreness.
I take BCAA’s 2-3 times a day. I mix one scoop in my water bottle during my workout. I have one scoop mixed in my bottle immediately after my workout. Then most days, I have a scoop in water about mid-afternoon, during that fun time when I am craving carbs. It has helped me to minimize my cravings. I also think BCAA’s are helping to not burn my muscles when I am cutting back on calories. I have always hated the fact that when I cut calories, I was loosing muscle that I worked so hard for. I have seen a difference when using BCAA’s. When I did the 10 day Holiday Detox, I feel like I retained more muscle and actually lost fat! Woohoo!
BCAA’s comes in powder, pill and liquid. They also have amazing flavors. My favorites are watermelon and blue raspberry. They are inexpensive and can be purchased through Amazon HERE (affiliate link). I like the powder, because I am drinking water anyway, and this just makes it taste even better. This is truly a great product that I highly recommend! Please let me know if you have any questions. Have a great week Empresses and we’ll talk soon!