To be lucky I’m still alive is an understatement, and I thank God every day that I am able to get older, because it means I’m still living. Turning 40 is still a bit shocking, because I still like to believe that I’m more fun than the majority of 20 year olds, but somehow here I find myself sharing 40 Life Lessons I’ve Learned in 40 years. With a mix of humor and truth, I hope this makes it into the hands of a true 20 year old, who just like my once 20-year-old self, has a lot of learning to do along this crazy thing we call life.I had so much fun celebrating with my sweet friends and family, and this 40 year old partied like it was 1999! See lesson number #20 for reference! And can we just take a minute to give respects to this amazing cake? Fred really went all out and so many people commented on it. He got it at our local Publix Bakery and they did such an amazing job! So without further ado, here are my 40 Life Lessons Learned In 40 Years!
40 Life Lessons Learned In 40 Years
1. When you figure out how to truly be in love with yourself, true love will find you.
2. Don’t ever answer the door at 3:00 a.m. It’s either a robber or a booty call.
3. Always double check which shoes you have on when headed to the gym. You may still have on your UGGS when you get there, which are entirely too hot to work out in.
4. Learn to fold a fitted sheet. It will make you feel like a domesticated superhero every time you’re in the laundry room.
5. You are fully dressed in confidence when you are able to go see a movie by yourself and have dinner in a restaurant alone. Learn to do that confidently and comfortably and lesson #1 will happen naturally.
6. Give yourself grace for that mistake you make, but once you learn from it all bets are off. When you know better, don’t do it anyway just to see what will happen. It’s called consequences.
7. Don’t ever believe a boyfriend that the mark on his neck is a hot baked potato “burn” while grilling out with dudes…it’s a hickey that you didn’t give him. If you fall for it you need to be more in tune with the next lesson.
8. Listen to your gut, because it’s where God speaks the loudest.
9. The best way to reheat pizza is on the stovetop. Just make sure you flip it to heat both sides.
10. Don’t give in to peer pressure. It’s lame. Standing alone is way cooler than joining the crowd.
11. Always double check to make sure the garage door is up, before putting the car in reverse.
12. Bad things will happen in your life. It’s not a matter of if rather than when. Be prepared with the armor of God to weather the storm.
13. A McDonald’s Happy Meal is a respectable meal at any age.
14. Not everyone will like you and that’s perfectly okay.
15. They may not even be sorry, you may never get an apology and you may never ever forget what they did, but forgiveness is the key to your own freedom and happiness.
16. My mom really was and still is right about everything and is my biggest fan.
17. When you go out in the mornings make sure to at least put on a bra with your pajamas. You never know when you may get into an accident or have to walk your child into school.
18. Fluorescent lighting is not your friend; never believe what you see while looking at yourself in a dressing room with it.
19. Don’t judge anyone. Leave that to God and worry about your own flaws (just not the ones in dressing rooms with fluorescent lights)!
20. When I decided to go out and party like a rockstar, I’m not so gently reminded that it takes almost a week to recover instead of a few hours like it did in my 20’s. Choose your party wisely.
21. Don’t ever move your life for a boy. Let the boy move his life for you.
22. You don’t need the new expensive “perfect” outfit to impress anyone. Impress yourself with pulling something together in your closet that you already own.
23. Don’t eat Chick-Fil-A and Moe’s cheese dip every day when you’re pregnant. You’ll get really fat. I wish everything was as easy as getting fat.
24. A jealous woman can do way better research than the FBI.
25. I am not to be trusted with a credit card.
26. Be cautious when you fart. It might turn out to be a shart (see next one for an important bathroom tip!).
27. The best place to stop for a potty break on the road is a hotel lobby; not a restaurant or gas station.
28. You’re only as good as the company you keep. Choose your friends wisely, because bad company corrupts good character.
29. Gangsta rap will motivate you and Jesus will refine you. Love both, just not equally.
30. Be brave and walk away from whatever is broken and not giving you joy.
31. Don’t text your ex. Text your best friend (aka therapist) instead.
32. There’s never a reason to ever try to keep up with the Jones’, because behind closed doors the Jone’s are crazy.
33. You are worth way more than second thoughts and maybes. Know your worth and don’t ever be someone’s sloppy seconds. Refer back to #7.
34. Don’t rush finding Mr. Right, but also don’t waste precious time on Mr. Right Now.
35. Don’t get wrapped up in worrying about trying to be “pretty,” but worry about how kind you are to others. Kind is the real pretty.
36. Every person comes into your life for a specific purpose. For them to teach you something or for you to teach them something; a blessing and a lesson.
37. Fake people have an image to maintain. Real people just don’t care.
38. Life is not about finding yourself. It’s about creating yourself.
39. Allow yourself to be a beginner…no one starts at the top. You’ve got to start somewhere in order to grow. Take the leap.
40. Marry someone that puts the Lord above all others, loves you for who you are unconditionally, supports your wildest dreams, and makes you laugh the ugly laugh on the daily (it truly is the best medicine)!!!and one to grow on…
41. To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid!
Cheers to 40 years,